[NAFEX] Tent caterpillars

tanis grif tanisgrif at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 31 21:15:20 EDT 2006

Do you mean "web worms"?  In WI (at least) we try to call them "fall web worms" even
tho they first show up in July.  I think there are a couple species or more, I see
some in apples starting now, and I assume another species in black walnut a bit
later.  "Tent caterpillars" is what we call the May species.

I could try to find latin names, if anyone wants them.

I saw the spring kind's climbing habit this year.  I had missed a couple early
tents.  I like to catch them when they first hatch-- small tents & tiny caterpillars
are not too icky to squish.  These were bigger tents, bigger caterpillars.  I
brushed them out w/ a stick, and crushed the caters which I saw crawling on the
branch.  I forgot to put away the ladder til next day-- top of ladder was populated
w/ caters apparently waiting for new leaves to grow.