[NAFEX] Watermelons Are Healthier When Served Warm

Naomi dragon-star at cableone.net
Mon Jul 31 13:50:01 EDT 2006

The question is are you more likely to more lycopene from a big cold hunk of
watermelon which you sit down and eat with enjoyment?  or a small chunk of
warm watermelon that you spit out? Since the level is only 20% higher on the
warm melon this means that you would have to eat 12 ounces of cold melon to
equal the benefit contained in 10 ounces of 68 degree melon.

How likely am I to eat 10 ounces of room temp watermelon ?..Not very.

Can I pack away a good bit more than 12 ounces of lovely cold watermelon and
am I likely too on a warm summer day if I have it available?...Oh Yeah!

I have another experiment in mind for the Oklahomans.  It could even be a
fund raiser.  They should have a watermelon stand at their state Fair maybe.
Offer Cold and Warm melon.. see which they sell more of...Drop the price of
the less good seller and see at what level people will by the less favored
temperature melon in equal amounts with the favored temperature melon.
(Notice my nice neutral language..no predictions LOL)

Nutrients are not much good if people will not eat the food.
Naomi
Naomi

  _____