[NAFEX] elderberries under black-walnuts

tanis grif tanisgrif at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 22 22:01:53 EDT 2006

I should have included this in my earlier observations:  A few yards off a local
road, there was a big black-walnut removed 3 or 4 years ago.  This year a Sambucus
canadensisr, growing w/in a few feet of the old stump, sent up a flower cluster.
The removed tree was stump-treated w/ herbicide, so there was no life in the tree's
root system.  But, I got thinking, how long does it take an elderberry to grow from
seed to flowering?  Did it start when the black-walnut was still there?