[NAFEX] Pomegranate 'Wonderful'

MARIE ASHTON bwoodtx at verizon.net
Sat Jul 22 21:27:01 EDT 2006

You are right to grow it in a container. Your 4b climate is just not warm
enough to grow it outside even with mulch cover in the winter. Pomegranates
do not need much chilling about 100-200 hours, so that should be no problem
in your garage. The 'Wonderful' variety pomegranate is somewhat frost
sensitive but is good down to 15 degrees F. There are other varieties of
pomegranates that are more cold hardy but none cold hardy enough for zone 4b
(outside) even with mulch. 'Wonderful' will require some pruning to keep it
to container size, it is one of the larger size pomegranate varieties; there
are other varieties that are dwarf in size.
You may even have some flowers this year as 'Wonderful' flowers early but it
is unlikely that they will set fruit, usually on young plants they will just
fall off the first 2 years, but the flowers are very showy. Good luck with
your project and let us hear how it works.
Regards,
Richard Ashton
Oak Creek Orchard
www.oakcreekorchard.com