[NAFEX] Pomegranate 'Wonderful'

Doreen Howard gardendiva at charter.net
Sat Jul 22 20:29:26 EDT 2006

I received the pomegranate cultivar 'Wonderful' today which is already
trained into a small tree with a trunk of about 30 inches.  It's my aim to
grow it in a very large container and put it into the cold garage during the
winter.  I live in Zone 4b, and my garage doesn't go below about 20F even on
those -15 to -20F nights.

My questions:
Will it have enough dormancy in the garage?

Would I be better off planting it in the ground in a very sheltered spot and
burying it in mulch every winter?

This is my first experience with pomegranates, but I'm trying because they
have such attractive flowers and interesting fruit.
Doreen Howard
Zone 4b--Wisconsin-Illinois border