[NAFEX] Figs

Thomas Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Sat Jul 22 15:00:14 EDT 2006

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 14:41:48 -0400, Doc Lisenby <longdistshtr at shtc.net>
wrote:

> It is a young tree, just planted three months ago, andit is bearing a
> great little crop and I don't see anykind of blemish on the leaves or
> any insects on it!

Hi,

Is this your first fig?  If so, mother nature may have some lessons in
store for you.  All too many times mother nature says "No deary" to many
of the things I would like to grow.

I am no fig expert, but I have grown a variety of fruit, and in my
experience what happens the first couple of years may have little bearing
as the plant matures.

Fruit trees that become disease prone.  Once upright currants that
collapse or twist under the weight of fruit.  New pests and diseases that
arrive, some simply by introducing the plant you have selected to your
planting.  Micro climates that are not reliable.  Freak winters.  You name
it.

Give your fig five years, and in ten you will have seen a lot of highs and
lows.  It is the challange that makes it interesting and educational.

Later,
Tom