[NAFEX] Plum Curculio

Dennis Norton dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Fri Jul 21 22:59:23 EDT 2006

Jim,

We don't use the trap towers, but the small circle traps that are attached
directly to the tree.  However, after coming across the following short
article, I am planning on using the suggested technique that gave the better
test results in thbe article next seaosn.

Odor-baited trap trees: a new approach to monitoring plum curculio
(Coleoptera: Curculionidae).

Prokopy RJ, Chandler BW, Dynok SA, Pinero JC.

Department of Entomology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003,
USA.

We compared a trap approach with a trap-tree approach to determine the need
and timing of insecticide applications against overwintered adult plum
curculios, Conotrachelus nenuphar (Herbst.), in commercial apple orchards in
Massachusetts in 2002. All traps and trap trees were baited with
benzaldehyde (attractive fruit odor) plus grandisoic acid (attractive
pheromone). Sticky clear Plexiglas panel traps placed at orchard borders,
designed to intercept adults immigrating from border areas by flight,
captured significantly more adults than similarly placed black pyramid
traps, which are designed to capture adults immigrating primarily by
crawling, or Circle traps wrapped around trunks of perimeter-row trees,
which are designed to intercept adults crawling up tree trunks. None of
these trap types, however, exhibited amounts of captures that correlated
significantly with either weekly or season-long amounts of fresh
ovipositional injury to fruit by adults. Hence, none appears to offer high
promise as a tool for effectively monitoring the seasonal course of plum
curculio injury to apples in commercial orchards in Massachusetts. In
contrast, baiting branches of selected perimeter-row trees with benzaldehyde
plus grandisoic acid led to significant aggregation (14-15-fold) of
ovipositional injury, markedly facilitating monitoring of the seasonal
course of injury to apples. A concurrent experiment revealed that addition
of other synthetic fruit odor attractants to apple trees baited with
benzaldehyde plus grandisoic acid did not enhance aggregation of
ovipositional injury above that of this dual combination. We conclude that
monitoring apples on odor-baited trap trees for fresh ovipositional injury
could be a useful new approach for determining need and timing of
insecticide application against plum curculio in commercial orchards.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com