[NAFEX] Celeste Figs

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Fri Jul 21 16:19:03 EDT 2006

That sounds delicious.  And the idea of frost, too, sounds wonderful.
Interesting about a difference between CA and Southern varieties.  I used to
shop southern catalogs for fruit varieties that can manage our hot summers
and relatively warm winters - but I do better looking for varieties suited
to the Mediterranean cycle of dry summers and wet winters.
Figs of all kind seem to love it here.

Stephen Sadler
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Doc Lisenby
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2006 11:48 AM
To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Celeste Figs

Yeah, Dr. Sadler but we can't grow the type figs in the South which you can
grow in California which lend themselves to drying very well.  It's best to
eat as many as you can before the June bugs get them and make some preserves

with the rest.  Fig preserves go good on a cat's head biscuit with a slab of

fried country ham and washed down with a cup of hot chicory when  frost is
on the pumpkins.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8