[NAFEX] Black currant taste

lee reich lreich at hvc.rr.com
Fri Jul 21 14:58:59 EDT 2006

Putting in my two cents about black currant flavor...

First of all, I happen to really enjoy the fresh flavor of black
currants. I even enjoy Consort, which does bear well for me. I have
not been impressed by Ben Sarek or Titania except by their large
berry size. Ben Sarek berries always seem to rot as they ripen here,
though. My all time favorite varieties for flavor are some of the
Russian ones: Kirovchanka is outstanding fresh but very low yielding;
my currant [sic] favorite for excellent flavor and good growth and
yields is Belaruskaja.

Yes, Ribes odoratum flavor is totally different from the European
black currants. I really enjoy odoratum flavor too, fresh, when the
fruit is throughly ripe.

And finally, a book plug. In case anyone does not know, I do devote a
whole chapter to black currants in my book Uncommon Fruits for Every
Garden.

Lee Reich, PhD
http://www.leereich.com
Books by Lee Reich: