[NAFEX] Celeste Figs

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Fri Jul 21 12:47:38 EDT 2006

They're behaving just like figs!  For fresh eating, I like them just before
they split, when they're soft but not too soft, and have a little acidity to
balance the sweetness.  Dried, too, I like.  in between those stages, I'll
cook with them.  Others like different ripeness stages.  You should have
figs now on your try at all stages of ripeness, so you can try and see what
you like.

Stephen

  _____

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Zeugitai
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2006 9:21 AM
To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Celeste Figs

The skin on some of the fruits is splitting. The immature fruits seem to be
seeping milky fluid through the skin -- pores or splits -- looks like white
glubules on the skin, like something on the fruit, until I touched them and
found them to be sticky fluid droplets.  We have not had much rain -- one
good rain in over seven weeks -- but I water the fig tree by hand.  Leaves
are beautiful and plentiful, and I haven't seen any kind of damage from
insects, unlike every other tree I've got!