[NAFEX] Inexpensive Plum Curculio lure

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Fri Jul 21 03:38:25 EDT 2006

A lot of growers hereabouts tried IPM as a transitional approach to organic.
They couldn't be convinced that organic produce could be attractive enough
for market, but after seeing the effects of using lower-toxicity approaches,
some made the switch to organic.  The wine industry here was a silent leader
in organic culture - many vineyards converted decades ago, but didn't
advertise it - still don't - because they think consumers would think the
grapes were inferior or not free of pests.
IPM has been an easier sell.  It can be less costly, less toxic, and better
for the bees, resulting in better crops.
I'm happy to hear about how you're using it.

Stephen Sadler
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Dennis Norton
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 9:05 PM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Inexpensive Plum Curculio lure

Stephen,

We used the small circle traps with   a pheromone/plum scent lure from Great

Lakes IPM.  The apple tree trunks were not painted white and we used Assail
followed by an Imidan spray 2 weeks later.  2 weeks later we followed the
same regimen, assail followed by Imidan as we were also experiencing a high
CM (codling moth) count that was way above our threshold.

IPM is the choice of most orchards that I have come in contact with
throughout the Midwest as well as eastern states such as New York.  I am
involved with a training program that is being conducted by John Aue, our
contracted entomologist from Wisconsin.  There are many orchards in
southern/southeastern Wisconsin being trained by John through the Wisconsin
Eco-Apple Project (http://www.thinkipm.org/apples/).  Since we consult with
John, he has been training me as part of our contracted services with him.
This will give you an idea of what's happening with IPM in our area.

If you have more questions, just ask!

Royal Oak Farm Orchard