[NAFEX] Inexpensive Plum Curculio lure

Dennis Norton dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Thu Jul 20 23:46:46 EDT 2006

IPM is alive and well in northern Illinois.  This is one of our marketing
pieces we provide for our customers:

Pest Management Practices

At Royal Oak Farm we use an approach called Integrated Pest management (IPM)
to minimize the insect and disease damage to our fruit.  IPM utilizes a
combination of biological, natural, and cultural controls to keep
applications of chemical controls to a minimum.  We consult with a
professional entomologist as we monitor a number of species of insects and
mites in our orchard, including beneficial species (predators and parasites
of pest species).  Often there are enough beneficials to control the pest(s)
without spraying.  Every season we can traps to catch pest species as they
enter the orchard and determine from the traps if there are too few of the
pest to cause serious damage to the trees or fruit or too many that would
cause economic damage.

A weather station in the orchard tracks temperature, rainfall, leaf wetness
and humidity from March through September, and we use this information to
monitor the progress and severity of various diseases that can attack our
fruit.

 All these efforts make it possible to apply chemical controls only a few
times each season when they are truly required, and we have made it a policy
to always use the most environmentally friendly materials available.  The
good health of our bees located all around the orchard is a testament to our
insect and disease management strategy.

 At Royal Oak Farm we are proud of the quality of the fruit we grow, and
equally proud that through our monitoring efforts and the use of Integrated
Pest Management procedures we need apply so few sprays to grow excellent
products.

If anyone is interested in further information feel free to contact me.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com