[NAFEX] Japanese Beetle Damage

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Thu Jul 20 21:22:31 EDT 2006

On Jul 20, 2006, at 12:10 PM, Kieran and Donna wrote:
> . . .
> When we bought the place, Milky Spore was not available, so I
> brought dirt from where we lived in east TN and dried and sieved
> it, figuring that if it took 16 years to protect the place instead
> of 2 years, that would still be better than nothing. I don't know
> if it's working, but sometimes I find whitish skinny grubs and put
> them back in the ground.
>     For those of you on the leading edge of the wave - Japanese
> beetles are moving westward at about 10 miles a year, the third
> year is usually the worst.  If you will spend the money on Milky
> Spore, it is supposed to cut the population by 75% in 2 years, by
> 96% in 6 years.  We bought the granulated stuff that you can't get
> anymore, and pitched it as thin and as far as it would go.  At my
> grandmothers we tossed it on the neighbor's yard as far as we
> could.  The disease only moves at 5 FEET a year, so it really needs
> some human help.                         Donna

I put down milky spore when I moved here, 9 years ago.  I get a few
Japanese beetles, but not enough to bother doing anything about.  I
noticed 3 skeletonized grape leaves and a few holes in the raspberry
leaves, and that's it this year.

I don't know if the milky spore helped, since I never tried doing
without, but my guess is that it did.  Most of my neighbors use
chemical grub control, so I don't get a huge number of beetles from
them.

My father tried a japanese beetle trap years ago.  Wow!  Did that
thing collect beetles.  The risk is that you might pull some in from
your neighbors' yards, but it does take a lot of them out of the
breeding pool.

Ginda