[NAFEX] Inexpensive Plum Curculio lure

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Thu Jul 20 16:24:28 EDT 2006

Dennis,

Your comments are always worth a lot.  You used the tall Tedders traps,
along with a pheromone/plum scent lure?  Were the tree trunks painted white?
Did you use Surround?

I'm hoping that that combination will be fairly effective.  There are new
lures in development that may improve things.

I was also impressed by a study that burned away the underbrush, cooking the
curculios - but there is the obvious danger, and no major trials.

Before our coop was able to go all organic, we permitted IPM foods where
that was the best option - timed pesticide exposures for the lowest use.  On
a realistic level, IPM can test cleaner for pesticides and herbicides than
organic, depending on degree of drift from other spray operations.  One
local grocery pays for produce testing and markets foods that have no
detectible residues.  Those are usually IPM.

There's not much out here now that can't be grown organically.  I wonder if
IPM (limited use of Imidan, for example) is as respected back east as it
used to be here in the land of fruits and nuts?

Stephen Sadler
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate