[NAFEX] blackberries

Kieran and Donna redherring at tnaccess.com
Wed Jul 19 23:30:10 EDT 2006

Blackberry wine is VERY good.  Jeff Poppen, who used to be in NAFEX, has
long been known for his homemade wines.  He would always donate a few
bottles to fund raising auctions, and some went for outrageous prices
because people knew they were good and that their money was going to a good
cause.  Wine is a lot less work than jelly or jam, and keeps at least as
long.
    Most of our blackberries are eaten fresh though.  We crush the berries,
crush some graham crackers, and add either yogurt, cream cheese, or wine.  I
don't know if there is any kind of commercial possibility in this.
    Now that I think of it though, I met a local woman who says they pick
wild blackberries on their property for a month or so every year and sell
the berries, netting about $2,000 to $3,000 a year.  After they got rid of
their cattle she had to learn to prune the plants properly.  They have been
doing it long enough that they no longer need to run an ad in the paper most
years, they just call folks on their list.    Donna