[NAFEX] Black currant taste; red rasp rot

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Mon Jul 17 13:16:18 EDT 2006

I freeze juices in those same 2-liter bottles, then I upend them over
pint-or-larger containers, and let them thaw for a while.  The fraction with
the highest concentration of solids - in other words, juice concentrate -
melts out, leaving frozen water behind.  When 25% of the volume has melted
out, you have a nice freezer-space-saving juice concentrate.

Stephen

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Thomas Olenio
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 6:21 AM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Black currant taste; red rasp rot

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 08:51:55 -0400, Richard Moyer <ramoyer at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Another point from me the black currant cheerleader:Currants can hang
> for weeks once ripe, without fungal breakdown.  Sure beats the pants off
> "what to do with those ripe red raspberries before they rot". Richard
> MoyerEast TN

Hi,

I just put my currants into 4 liter plastic pails and freeze them.

The freezing helps break down the cellular walls and releases more juice
without cooking.

I do the same with fresh cider from the mill.  Emptied 2 liter pop bottles
work fine for all juices.  Applesauce can also be frozen.

Prolonged freezing also offers some sterilizing effects.

Tom