[NAFEX] Grapes in Heavy Soil

Erdman, James ErdmanJ at uwstout.edu
Mon Jul 17 12:13:21 EDT 2006

I'm in zone 4 in Western Wisconsin, on heavy clay soil (they used to make bricks out of similar soil a quarter of a mile down the road).  I have a few varieties of grapes, not as many as where we lived before near Tomah WI, which was also zone 4  (and had clay soil that seemed even stickier than what we have now).  I have never had a lot of luck with seedless grapes, but like the seeded table grapes such as Swenson's Red.
Not sure what your goals are, but I would suggest getting Lon's book and planting a few vines of a number of varieties and see how they do and how you like them.

Jim in Menomonie, WI, an hour east of Minneapolis/St Paul