[NAFEX] Black currant taste; red rasp rot

Thomas Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Mon Jul 17 09:21:14 EDT 2006

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 08:51:55 -0400, Richard Moyer <ramoyer at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Another point from me the black currant cheerleader:Currants can hang
> for weeks once ripe, without fungal breakdown.  Sure beats the pants off
> "what to do with those ripe red raspberries before they rot". Richard
> MoyerEast TN

Hi,

I just put my currants into 4 liter plastic pails and freeze them.

The freezing helps break down the cellular walls and releases more juice
without cooking.

I do the same with fresh cider from the mill.  Emptied 2 liter pop bottles
work fine for all juices.  Applesauce can also be frozen.

Prolonged freezing also offers some sterilizing effects.

Tom