[NAFEX] Black currant taste; red rasp rot

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 08:51:55 EDT 2006

KQ,
Thanks for your input.  Agreed that the red and white currants taste largely
similar within each group, and that there's much taste variety in the
gooseberries.

As for professional tasting ability to distinguish black currants, the
ability to discern levels of sugars, acids, bitterness, and total amounts
and varieties of aromatics are both inherited (genetic) and learned, to
various degrees.    There also are 'nontasters' in any cross section of
humans, who notice no difference when presented with a range of certain
flavors.

Differences are there in black currants; granted they might not be noticed
because so many of us eat with our eyes:
The most popular (western) Euro black currants look much alike and are
selected for a certain set of taste characters, and since so much of our
modern food breeding, purchasing and presentation depends on eye appeal,
these black currants come across as very similar.  I'd be curious to do two
taste tests with black currants, one with blindfolded tasted testers, and
one without the blindfolds, asking participants to describe the differences
in the fruits.  My kids can tell you the taste differences between our black
currant cultivars; they much prefer some over others.  But to look at this
group of fruit, they are rather boring.
Tom noted in his post yesterday that apples have a much wider variety of
tastes.  I wonder how much fruit shape, size and color variation affect our
overall sensory perceptions.

Another point from me the black currant cheerleader:
Currants can hang for weeks once ripe, without fungal breakdown.  Sure beats
the pants off "what to do with those ripe red raspberries before they rot".

Richard Moyer
East TN

Message: 5