[NAFEX] In praise of Raspberries

Jim Fruth jfruth at uslink.net
Mon Jul 17 08:45:07 EDT 2006

    Here, at Brambleberry Farm, we pick (red) raspberries every day.  We try
to pick only the fully ripe berries, which if left on the canes for another
day become over-ripe and either fall to the ground before the next day's
pick or fall off while being picked.  Some varieties perform better than
others.  We've not ever seen berries getting moldy while still on the canes.
    Black raspberries, on the other hand, don't fall off readily.  If left
undisturbed for a week or more, they continue to hang on and don't seem to
ever become over-ripe.  Again, I've not ever seen mold on a berry that was
still on the plant.
--

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm