[NAFEX] In praise of Raspberries

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Mon Jul 17 00:59:40 EDT 2006

The botrytitis that infects raspberries overwinters on the plant, and
infects the flowers.  It is also present in the air, and on the ground - it
can splash up from the ground during watering.  After infecting the flowers,
it colonizes the green fruit, but does not become active until conditions
(moisture, temperature, damage) are favorable.  You can apply fungicides at
blossom time, but once the canes are actively fruiting you're unlikely to be
able to change the level of colonization already present.  The mold is not a
bad thing until it becomes active, then it ruins the fruit.  It's not
harmful to eat - just, you know, disgusting.

Proper culture is preferable to fungicide use.  Make sure that the fruit can
stay fairly dry on the plants by not impeding the natural movement of air.
Space the plants far enough apart, keep weeds low or absent, and don't
fertilize in early spring - nitrogen encourages leaf formation, and
excessive leaf formation shades the fruit so they don't dry as easily.

I fuzzily recall that botrytis cultures just as easily outdoors whether
there are active colonies nearby or not, so a 10 foot toss from your plants
should be plenty.  Still, it seems right to get the moldy berries pretty far
away.

Stephen

  _____