[NAFEX] Grapes in Heavy Soil

Richard MURPHY murphman108 at msn.com
Sun Jul 16 13:36:27 EDT 2006

Good Afternoon All;

Can a person grow grapes in heavy soil in Maine zone 4 ??
The soil may also be considered clayish.
Apple & Pear trees thrive in it, though.

Is there a seedless grape for this area?

Do people actually buy seeded table grapes any more, now that the supermarket sells the huge, insipid sugar-balls?

Is there a decent juice grape for this area?

I might buy a copy of Mr. Rombough's book if all the answers aren't too discouraging.....

This is for a small commercial orchard that has 100 apples, 60 pears, 40 cherries. Small but commercial.

PS guys....I had a Liberty apple from Miller in the early 90's. Talk about CAR...holy crap, it was more zits than green! Died quickly while other trees thrived. Just Like today... the Jonafree is 100% zit free, as is the Yellow Transparent, but the Braeburn (Miller Comspur) is loaded..... All trees in a 20' circle. Don't make any connection between Miller / CAR. I got tons of healthy trees from them over the years.

Murph