[NAFEX] In praise of Raspberries

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Sun Jul 16 09:24:26 EDT 2006

On Jul 16, 2006, at 9:06 AM, road's end farm wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2006, at 9:55 AM, list at ginda.us wrote:
>
>> Basically, the only reason raspberries are expensive is
>> that they don't ship well.  It's a cheap local crop.
>
> You've never picked them in commercial quantities, I assume. Much
> of the cost is in the picking.
>
> They need to be picked every couple of days; even if the weather is
> so wet that the berries are already moldy and will just need to be
> tossed; otherwise the moldy ones may infect the others. They need
> to be marketed with similar frequency, since they don't store for
> very long. So they're actually pretty time consuming for the
> grower. For the home gardener, of course, picking them is part of
> the pleasure; so the time spent is rarely noted.
>
> -- Rivka; Finger Lakes NY, Zone 5 mostly

Good point - and the motive for moving my asparagus is that it makes
picking the raspberries difficult and uncomfortable on that side.
But as you say, picking enough to eat now is basically pleasurable,
and they are a great backyard crop.

I have a question, how far "away" do you throw moldy berries?  I
usually pick them and toss them into the nearby shrubs (5'-10' from
the raspberries), but I've been wondering if I ought to move them
farther from the berry bushes.

Thanks,
Ginda