[NAFEX] In praise of Raspberries

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Sun Jul 16 09:06:09 EDT 2006

On Jul 15, 2006, at 9:55 AM, list at ginda.us wrote:

> Basically, the only reason raspberries are expensive is
> that they don't ship well.  It's a cheap local crop.

You've never picked them in commercial quantities, I assume. Much of
the cost is in the picking.

They need to be picked every couple of days; even if the weather is so
wet that the berries are already moldy and will just need to be tossed;
otherwise the moldy ones may infect the others. They need to be
marketed with similar frequency, since they don't store for very long.
So they're actually pretty time consuming for the grower. For the home
gardener, of course, picking them is part of the pleasure; so the time
spent is rarely noted.