[NAFEX] MonArk apple

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Fri Jul 14 12:29:22 EDT 2006

At 08:51 PM 7/13/2006, Charlotte wrote:
>We are promoting MonArk for an early apple in our nursery because it is
>fairly easy to grow,  shows some disease resistance and is truly good.
I'll have to go back and look more closely, but now that you mention
it, I don't recall seeing any evidence of scab, CAR, or any other
fungal disease on the MonArk tree, but in contrast, GoldRush, about
100 yards away, on the other side of the pond 'looks like a canary',
as Donna would say, it's so heavily infected with CAR this year.

>Jill Vorbeck touts its culinary virtues--she brought a MonArk tart
>to a NAFEX meeting a couple of years ago,  and it is truly divine in
>my mother's baked apple dishes.  It has
>delightful complexity when cooked as well as being good for eating out
>of hand.
I believe it - looking forward to heavier harvests from this one in the future.

Lucky