[NAFEX] Liberty apple and cedar apple rust?

John Smith friendly27sw at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 18:17:10 EDT 2006

I got some Liberty scionwood from The Christian
Homesteading Movement Richard Fahey last winter and
grafted several trees.  Cedar apple rust has been one
of my biggest disease problems because I don't spray
much and so I had high hopes for resistant trees.  The
problem is, the liberty grafts developed cedar apple
rust, though not as much as my susceptible trees.
This could be because my susceptible varieties leafed
out earlier than the new grafts and by the time my
grafts were growing well, they may have escaped much
of the rust this year.  I had also grafted some other
trees that should be resistant including Williams
Pride, Arkansas Black etc and they developed no rust
at all, leafing out at the same time as the Liberty.
My question is, have others seen cedar apple rust on
Liberty?  Do you think I might have been sent another
variety by mistake?