[NAFEX] goats foraging and other domesticated critters in the orchard

Deb Schneider debs at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 11 15:10:23 EDT 2006

We are only able to have both fruit trees and goats because we use electric netting to either keep in or out the goats.  We move the netting to have the goats browse where we want.  We also set netting up around areas to keep them out (so when the milking doe comes up to the milk stand on the back porch she does not have a chance to denude the pear seedlings on the way.)

Our ducks never bothered the fruit trees, but geese can and will pick them clean and nibble off the bark of very young, tender trees.  Electric mesh works for them too.

Oh and I had a dog dig up and retrieve a newly planted apple tree once...

deb