[NAFEX] Fruit Tree and goat care

Nate nrhora at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 12:26:06 EDT 2006

Guess you got the answers you were looking for, but prehaps some
further clarification:

 I put the goats in their fence, wrapped the persimmon trunk in
parafilm and shaded it with cardboard. Any other advice on care of
this trunk?  1/3-1/2 of the bark is gone in 2 spots on the south side.

If you were to use turkey fencing, with the small holes to keep prying
beaks,mouths away from the bark it might be a helpful solution. You
need to get in the mind of the doe, what would it do to get at the
bark in the first place? Answer is probably right under your nose. One
thing you should note is that the doe is eating the bark simply
because it's hungry (which is no excuse) You need to find inventive
ways of attracting it to other materials it can eat (such as field
clover, dandelions, etc.) Once you know how to distract the doe, it's
very unlikely it will go for the bark again.

Young saplings can be more vulnerable then older, larger, thicker
trees that can withstand the bites of the doe.