[NAFEX] Fruit Tree and goat care

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 10:41:42 EDT 2006

Advice requested:
We just bought 2 Nigerian Dwarf does, who are meeting our fresh milk needs.

One went from the milking stand this morning to eating some weeds and
hanging grapeleaves, which is what we like.

When I looked up again, she had just pulled 2 big hunks of bark (4-5" long)
from a 3" persimmon sapling, which we had recently topworked.  That tree and
two others like it are on my to do list to protect today, with 2"x4"
fencing--somehow she knew!  (She, so far, had avoided debarking all other
saplings in their woodlot.)

I put the goats in their fence, wrapped the persimmon trunk in parafilm and
shaded it with cardboard.
Any other advice on care of this trunk?  1/3-1/2 of the bark is gone in 2
spots on the south side.

Second question, for those with goat experience:
Do we assume that goats will strip bark, anytime, any season, on any tree?
If there an age/size of fruit tree that is ever avoided when plenty of other
browse and concentrate is around?  Or do I assume that any fruit tree, any
size, may be debarked at anytime, thereby always fencing them out?

Thanks,
Richard Moyer
East TN