[NAFEX] [permaculture] heritage peach tree preservation

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Mon Jul 10 21:56:51 EDT 2006

I've grown a population of seedlings from "Mormon Chinese" pits sent to
me by Tim Udall in Arizona.  The seedlings bloom later than any apricot
I've seen, some a little later than Japanese plums.  The fruit is quite
similar among the trees, with large pits, and while the quality isn't
outrageous, it's decent.  The important thing is that there IS fruit.
In the NW it's darn hard to get fruit on most apricots because they
usually bloom so early that the cold, wet weather causes so much
disease the blossoms blast.   Several of the Mormon Chinese seedlings
have even shown some resistance to the blast, which is noteworthy in
itself.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.