[NAFEX] [permaculture] heritage peach tree preservation

oliver smith callis oliversmithcallis at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 19:59:16 EDT 2006

Doug,
thanks for your input. According to the person I talked to, who manages an
orchard adjacent to the property where these peach trees are, and who is the
grandson of the man who planted them, the variety was bud grafted onto this
French cultivar. It sounded like it was brought over as a sapling, probably
wrapped in burlap. The trees were well taken care of up until the last
decade or so, and he is certain that they were planted between 1875 and
1895.
Thanks,
Oliver

>Thanks for the replies & suggestions. I should have clarified I do not own
or control the property (which is at risk of being developed) and >am
limited to propagation strategies to preserve this rootstock & variety. For
the rootstock- I though I might dig up one of the roots and >expose part of
it above ground, protect it with a milk carton with the bottom cut off
(staked to the ground), add some fertilizer and see if I >can't get it to
sprout. Then sever the root from the tree and replant it. Does this seem
feasible? Also, what if I took root cuttings, dipped >them in rooting
hormone and left them in a rooting medium-vermiculite type mixture...