[NAFEX] heritage peach tree preservation

oliver smith callis oliversmithcallis at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 14:53:29 EDT 2006

Hello All,
I am conducting a heritage fruit tree preservation project in my area, Utah
Valley, Utah. I have just come across a stand of peach trees which are
around 100 to 120 years old. The grandson of the man who planted the trees
said that his great grandmother brought a peach tree here from France which
was used as the rootstock. The trees are in bad shape as horses have been
kept in the orchard they are in, and may not last long. It seems to me that
this would be a good rootstock to preseve as most commercial orchardists in
my area say that peach trees don't typically last longer than 25 years. Does
anybody have any info on stimulating a root into producing a tree or any
other means of propogating the rootstock? An orchardist here suggested
"hitting them with nitrates in the spring" to get something off of the
roots. I would prefer to use a biodynamic/organic method of propogation, any
input would be great.
Much appreciated,

--
Oliver Smith Callis

"I believe we can accomplish great and profitable things within a new
conceptual framework—one that values our legacy, honors diversity, and feeds
ecosystems and societies . . . It is time for designs that are creative,
abundant, prosperous, and intelligent from the start."
William McDonough

"The only limit on the number of uses of a resource possible within a system
is in the limit of the information and the imagination of the designer...The
yield of a system is theoretically unlimited."
Bill Mollison

http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/004559.html

(see the "Greening the Desert" flash video below)
http://www.permaculture.org.au/