[NAFEX] Groundcherry variation

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Sat Jul 8 18:15:20 EDT 2006

Thanks for the report!  I was considering Aunt Molly's for next season.  I
read such varied reactions to the flavor of ground cherries.  Generally, I
read more positive reviews about golden berry.

Stephen

  _____

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of road's end farm
Sent: Saturday, July 08, 2006 2:21 PM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Groundcherry variation

On Jul 8, 2006, at 9:16 AM, Jim Fruth wrote:

I try to grow about 100 plants.

How on earth are you harvesting 100 plants of ground cherries? I grew half a
dozen last year and found them very time consuming to harvest and to sort;
if we scooped up everything that was under the plants they all had to be
checked over as some were no good, which took forever; and it was hard
getting everything out from under the very sprawly plants. Anything we
missed added to the bad ones next time. (The instructions I had said to wait
till they fell off the plant as unripe ones were emetic.)

After all that, they were next to impossible to sell. I did get some people
to try a pint, and they did say they liked them; but not as much as other
fruit, so almost nobody wanted more than about a pint a year as a curiosity.
(This was pretty much my reaction too, whether raw or in a pie.) I didn't
grow any this year.

I will say that they were heavy bearers. Variety was Aunt Molly's Ground
Cherry from Seedsavers.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly