[NAFEX] Groundcherry variation

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Sat Jul 8 17:20:34 EDT 2006

On Jul 8, 2006, at 9:16 AM, Jim Fruth wrote:

>  I try to grow about 100 plants.

How on earth are you harvesting 100 plants of ground cherries? I grew
half a dozen last year and found them very time consuming to harvest
and to sort; if we scooped up everything that was under the plants they
all had to be checked over as some were no good, which took forever;
and it was hard getting everything out from under the very sprawly
plants. Anything we missed added to the bad ones next time. (The
instructions I had said to wait till they fell off the plant as unripe
ones were emetic.)

After all that, they were next to impossible to sell. I did get some
people to try a pint, and they did say they liked them; but not as much
as other fruit, so almost nobody wanted more than about a pint a year
as a curiosity. (This was pretty much my reaction too, whether raw or
in a pie.) I didn't grow any this year.

I will say that they were heavy bearers. Variety was Aunt Molly's
Ground Cherry from Seedsavers.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly