[NAFEX] Raspberry Vinegar

Brungardt, Sam Sam.Brungardt at state.mn.us
Mon Jul 3 11:56:56 EDT 2006

I make raspberry "shrub" whenever I find I have too many red or purple
raspberries or berries that are too ripe to freeze nicely.  I can or
bottle it it as one would fruit juice.

Raspberry shrub's easy to make and people really do like it, as
evidenced by a number of Craftsman home enthusiasts from throughout the
Midwest who were at our home for a lunch one warm spring day.  We ran
out of iced tea and lemonade so I brought several jars of red raspberry
shrub concentrate up from the basement, diluted it with about 4 parts of
water in a pitcher and then poured it into glasses filled with ice.
People loved it and several wanted the recipe.  I've found that kids go
for it, too.  Sort of pre-industrial era Kool-Aide.

This year I have a lot of red currants and I plan to make some Currant
Shrub, which may demand more sugar than the raspberry version.

Raspberry Shrub
In a earthenware, enameled or stainless steel container, mash 4 cups
fresh raspberries.  Mix with 2 cups cider vinegar.  Cover the container
and let stand in a warm place at room temperature for 48 hours.  Strain
to remove seeds and pulp (a jelly bag works great for this).  Pour the
juice into a large nonreactive kettle, stir in 2 cups sugar, and bring
to a boil.  Skim foam off top.  Pour the concentrate into hot,
sterilized canning jars, leaving 1/4" headspace,  seal with sterilized
flats and process in a boiling water bath (10 min. for pints, 15 min.
for quarts).  Store in a cool, dark place.

-----------------

Old Fashioned Vermont-style Raspberry Shrub
Pour 2 quarts of cider vinegar over 2 quarts of mashed raspberries.  Let
set covered for two days at room temperature.  Strain and press the
mixture through cheesecloth.  Add 2 more quarts of mashed raspberries to
the liquid.  Let set for two more days.  Strain and press again through
cheesecloth.
Measure liquid by the cup, put into large pot.  In separate bowl measure
1 cup of sugar for every cup of liquid.  Set aside sugar.  Bring liquid
to a boil, boil for five minutes.   Skim off foam.  Bring to a boil and
add sugar, boil for five minutes.  Skim foam.  Put into pint canning
jars.  Jars and lids should be hot.  Seal.
Serve 2 tablespoons of shrub over ice to 8 oz. of water, soda water,
seltzer, or white wine.
-----

Here's a recipe for Blackberry Shrub I found on the Internet, which I
intend to try next time I have a superabundance of blackberries (will
that EVER be the case up north here?):

Blackberry Shrub
4 cups fresh blackberries, about 16 ounces
2 cups cider vinegar
2 cups granulated sugar

Place blackberries in a non-metal bowl or pitcher; add vinegar.   Cover
with plastic wrap or lid; refrigerate for 3 to 4 days. Strain mixture
into a saucepan, pressing blackberries to extract all liquid.  Heat to
boiling and add sugar, stirring to dissolve.  Take off heat and let
cool.  Keep refrigerated.  When ready to use, dilute with cold water and
pour over ice.

--Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.