[NAFEX] Softwood cuttings, apples and cherries

rmelrose at danvilleVT.net rmelrose at danvilleVT.net
Sun Jul 2 18:06:16 EDT 2006

I was just reading Hawken and Smith's ``Seeds and propagation'' (or
something close to that) and noticed that the have both apples and cherries
listed under `suitable for sofwood cuttings'. This seems surprising to me,
and I did not find much to support it in the text. Has anyone succeeded in
rooting softwood cuttings of aples or cherries? Of course they may just
have made a mistake, or they might have been meaning that one could do
summer bud grafting. However, if it is possible I might have occasion to
try it -- say taking a cutting now from someone else's tree.

Richard
Vermont, zone 4a.