[NAFEX] rooting softwood mulberry

Bassem Samaan bassem at gardener.com
Sat Jul 1 06:07:58 EDT 2006

I recently found a dark fruiting mulberry growing wild off  a main road.
The fruits of these mulberry are like non others I've seen and taste it.
I have tried at least 15 different varieties but this wild one has very
large fruits, about 2" long. Also noticed that the fruits don't stain the
fingers when picked. The flavor is great, sweet and it's not tasteless.

I usually propagate mulberry by grafting in spring. I don't want to wait
until winter to collect scionwood, I'm affraid the tree won't be there
since it's growing in a lawn area, and can be cut down easily. I had
success rooting Pakistan dormant cuttings and other white mulberry
cuttings in early spring.

So can I collect softwood cuttings and root them?  does the cutting have
to be from the current year growth?

Bassem Samaan

Bethlehem, pa, Zone 6