[NAFEX] Black Gold, White Gold sweet cherries - how are your's doing?

Matt Demmon mdemmon at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 20:14:00 EDT 2006

my only report is on White Gold, I planted one at my parent's house in
Grand Rapids, MI (z5) last spring, and it is doing fantastic despite
heavy japanese beetle damage. It was almost defoliated in july last
year, yet put on another foot of growth before frost, and had about 20
blooms this spring. It's in heavy clay soil which was previously lawn
and is now under about a foot of wood chip mulch. There's no
competition within 3 feet. That's all.

-matt

On 4/30/06, Rodney <reveland at collinscom.net> wrote:
> 3 years ago I planted one each of Black Gold, White Gold, and Glacier sweet
> cherries. Glacier died before May 1 of the following spring. Most of White
> Gold died by the same time and did not survive the following winter. Black
> Gold survived but did not like being painted with a 50-50 mixture of white
> interior latex paint/water. Wherever the paint was put on the bark looks
> rotted, however it did survive and looks like it will be blooming in the
> next few weeks if the weather is warm. I must admit that I put Black Gold in
> a quality hole while the other two were put into a more quickly dug,
> unplanned spot - a big mistake. Montmorency, Surefire and Bali are yet to
> bloom, but Danube has about a dozen flowers open. State Fair and Harlson
> apples will probably bloom next week  as they are showing color. The
> rootstock of the White Gold - Gisela 5 - looks like it will be blooming so I
> may keep it if the birds like it.
>
> If you have experience with any of the zone 4 sweet cherries please report
> how things are going for you and your trees.
>
> Rodney

> No exceptions.

-matt
aim: farmerdemmon