[NAFEX] Black Gold, White Gold sweet cherries - how are your's doing?

Rodney reveland at collinscom.net
Sun Apr 30 19:44:18 EDT 2006

3 years ago I planted one each of Black Gold, White Gold, and Glacier sweet
cherries. Glacier died before May 1 of the following spring. Most of White
Gold died by the same time and did not survive the following winter. Black
Gold survived but did not like being painted with a 50-50 mixture of white
interior latex paint/water. Wherever the paint was put on the bark looks
rotted, however it did survive and looks like it will be blooming in the
next few weeks if the weather is warm. I must admit that I put Black Gold in
a quality hole while the other two were put into a more quickly dug,
unplanned spot - a big mistake. Montmorency, Surefire and Bali are yet to
bloom, but Danube has about a dozen flowers open. State Fair and Harlson
apples will probably bloom next week  as they are showing color. The
rootstock of the White Gold - Gisela 5 - looks like it will be blooming so I
may keep it if the birds like it.

If you have experience with any of the zone 4 sweet cherries please report
how things are going for you and your trees.

Rodney