[NAFEX] Peach Disease or Insects?

Don Yellman don.yellman at webformation.com
Fri Apr 28 13:00:59 EDT 2006

Shirley Murphy wrote:
> Dennis & Don,
> Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.
> The leaves on my trees are very healthy with no signs of damage.  The
> fruits, however, have punctures and in some cases "bites."  The gummy
> substance ( which I now agree was sap)  has now disappeared.  Looking at
> my apples and pears, some of the same punctures are evident.  Based on
> this and my location (SW TN near Shiloh), I suspect the moth is probably
> the culprit.  How did anything ever survive before the discovery of
> chemical sprays?  Does anyone know any varieties that are less susceptible?
> Shirley Murphy

> No exceptions.

Shirley:

Any peaches, apples, or pears that show insect punctures, bites, scars, or pectin blobs should be removed now as part of your thinning process.  These damaged fruits have no future.  If they are all damaged, you might want to think about timely control measures for next season.  And if there are any undamaged fruits left, and you don't want to spray chemicals, you really ought to think about bagging.

The oriental fruit moth is a non-native species, believed to have been introduced to this country on nursery stock from Japan sometime after 1913.  Their numbers and the intensity of their damage vary from place to place and from year to year, but they are always present in many areas.

I suppose before 1913 it was relatively easy to grow peaches, but not any more.  Chemical sprays are a response to this insect and quite a number of others, although I think OFM is the worst.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA