[NAFEX] Pruning strategies for M27

Randall Burd burdrs at comcast.net
Thu Apr 27 21:34:25 EDT 2006

I have several varieties of apples on M27 rootstock in containers. I am
training these using a slender spindle method by winding the central
leader up a stack in the containers. The problem that I am facing is the
the lower scaffold branches are becoming quite wide and probably need to
be shortened to prevent the trees from engulfing each other.

I have looked at Gene's M27 strategies at:
http://www.midfex.org/yale/dwarf.html and like what he has done.

Any thoughts on other pruning strategies that I might consider? Thanks.

Randy
Jersey gardener