[NAFEX] Ticks (was: ATNN:Fruit persons of Maine)

mauch1 at aol.com mauch1 at aol.com
Thu Apr 27 10:07:53 EDT 2006

<< The most ticks I found on my german shepherd last year in one day was 27.  This year the dog has had a 44 tick day, and just a few days ago the dog had a 93 tick day.  We roam the woods and the dog covers so much ground that she acts as a tick-magnet.
  LK in iowa>>

Wow!  That's alot.  Had a recent interesting conversation with a veterinarian that dogs seem to exist in equilibrium with lyme, often for years, until some triggering event has the dog's immune system attack the lyme and in addition the immune system attacks the dog's own tissues causing joint swelling/pain, et cetera.  I believe the disease is still associated with the smaller deer tick and not the larger dog tick.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N 75° 51'W
~650 ft elevation