[NAFEX] saving grape cuttings

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sun Apr 23 23:18:42 EDT 2006

If you mean they have just been sitting in the bucket, dry, they are
likely not in good shape.  One test is to cut the bottom off (just a
thin slice, like 1/16 inch) and stand them in water.  If they are still
alive, they may ooze a bit of gooey sap at the tops after a soak of 8
hours or so.  Dry cuttings will look greenish, but dry inside and a
cross section will look like a gear with tiny teeth as the wood has
begun to shrivel, leaving the tissue bundles in the bark sticking up.
If they look like that, odds are good the percent survival will be very
low.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.