[NAFEX] Grafting Question

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Sun Apr 23 20:04:09 EDT 2006

I've seen the same.  It's fairly common in old Massachusetts
plantings to see the top much larger than the base of a tree - I've
seen it in the Boston Public Gardens, as well as other places.  I've
also seen small tops on large bases.  It's obviously better to graft
plants that have similar growth habits, but my advice would be to
leave the tree alone, or possibly provide some mechanical support (a
sturdy stake, for instance) to help prevent the large top from
breaking off the rootstock.  I doubt the plants are in any immediate
danger from this mismatch.

Ginda