[NAFEX] Veteran Peaches

Rodney reveland at collinscom.net
Sun Apr 23 16:14:01 EDT 2006

There isn't a lot of information available about this variety (at least not
from Google). This site says it is hardy.
http://www.davewilson.com/ordered/dennis_7d1-OR.html
VETERAN PEACH One of the most reliable peaches for cold climates: winter
hardy and late-blooming. Yellow to yellow-orange skin. Yellow flesh is
freestone when fully ripe, and richly flavored. Harvest one week before
Elberta. 900 hours. Self-fruitful.

This site says it is a great "canner".
http://jossyfarms.com/HandlingPeaches.asp

This site has a 1989 article by Williams, Lloyd M.
http://library.missouristate.edu/paulevans/publications/pomona1980.shtml

You might consider how to get a copy of this article. I think it can be
done. ANYONE out there have a copy? To see the reference just do a ctrl-F
key and enter Veteran in the search field.

You might also consider the "Contender" peach. I ordered one from Guerneys
(it came with a NAFEX membership application form), planted it yesterday and
today it started snowing (about 12 minutes ago), and so far Contender has
held up really well.  ;-)  Some web sites say that Contender blooms two
weeks after other varieties. If it survives,  I'll know how it compares with
Reliance if they survive the upcoming winter of course (something to worry
about every year).

Rodney in Northeast Wy.
formerly zone 4 about 5-6 years ago.
Seems to have moved up to zone 5.