[NAFEX] Ya Pears

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Thu Apr 20 13:01:02 EDT 2006

I've grown Asian pears from seed.  Treat them like any other pears,
though it may take ten years for the own-rooted seedling to come into
bearing.  Also, no guarantee that any of the seedlings will be as good
as the parent.
When I grew out open pollinated seedlings of 20th Century, more than
half had low vigor, though there was a wide range of other traits in
the seedlings.  One was the prettiest thing I've ever seen in a pear,
with a glowing white-yellow that looked like a big pearl.  And as
totally lacking in flavor or sweetness as anything I've seen.  Another
was so acid it could have been juiced for vinegar.  One had a "pole"
growth habit, all covered with spurs.  Fruit was tasty, but so small
they weren't worth anything.
Etc.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.