[NAFEX] Ya Pears

John Barbowski jbarbowski at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 12:05:44 EDT 2006

Hello Nafexers,

I recently purchased a Ya Pear at the supermarket and was surprised with its
sweetness,
crispness and juiceyness. I drew some comparisons to Honeycrisp apples.

Not thinking much would result from it, I put six of the seeds from the core
in the soil
around my sprouting Turkish Fig. Behold the emergence of 5 new seedlings!

I tried looking on the INet for growing techniques, but came back empty
handed. Should
these seedlings be treated as normal N Am pears? Are there special
considerations for
soil, sun and moisture? How big does the tree get? Should the seedlings be
planted in
their final resting ground this year? May I expect true fruit to set, and in
how many years?

jb