[NAFEX] Seeking advice about paw paws

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Wed Apr 19 16:12:56 EDT 2006

I, too, am a supertaster, and am looking for Paw Paw varieties without that
bitter aftertaste.

With fruits I can separate out the bitter or other flavor I don’t like, and
I will like the other flavors present.  One of my early posts – okay, a few
of them – was looking for sources for Lavender Gem, a tangelolo.  With it’s
largely grapefruit heritage, tangelolos have all the spritely and refreshing
citrus flavor of grapefruit, but the ‘tang’ part just seems to shut down the
bitterness gene.  Still looking
 found a source in Southern CA, but they’re
closing shop.  I also have similar problems with papaya – the varieties I
can get in CA have an off-taste to me, but there are some Mexican varieties
– that won’t grow here – that taste delicious.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.

USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,

Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate

  _____