[NAFEX] Soilless Mix

Thomas Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Tue Apr 18 08:36:36 EDT 2006

Hello,

I have been looking at the ratios for soilless mix and I have a question.
I use soilless mix for growing out currant seedlings.

The ratios look like this;

	a) Two parts peat, one part perlite, one part coarse sand.

	b) Two parts peat, one part coarse sand.

	c) One part peat, one part coarse sand, one part pine bark.

	d) One part peat, one part pine bark, one part perlite.

Why are the ratios limited to "pine" bark?  I have a pile of old maple
chippings that are closer to compost than wood, and I wonder if any OLD
wood chips would work in a soilless mix?

Thanks,
Tom