[NAFEX] Budding to G-30

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Mon Apr 17 10:59:36 EDT 2006

On Apr 13, 2006, at 9:28 PM, Ribes60 at aol.com wrote:

> "G30 is ultrasensitive to viruses and you shouldn't mess with it",,
> That was the word that I got from Jim Cummings. I ordered GC-11
> instead because he warned that G-30 needed virus free scions.
>
> Ed Mashburn
> Central PA
> Zone 5A

You might be thinking of G16 (the other smaller one).  I just spoke
with Jim Cummins, to ask if the Ashmeads on M7 he sold me last year
would have any viruses that would be harmful to the G30 rootstock,
and he said not to worry about it - as far as he can tell, the only
Geneva rootstock with virus sensitivity is G16 - and that one is
extremely sensitive to a number of latent viruses.  In fact, he said
go ahead and graft from my multi-tree if I want to, he thinks the
only problem is that it's a little too late in the season.

I have seen some comments on the internet about virus issues with
G30, but Jim Cummins is the expert, and people sometimes get
confused.  So I think I'll give it a try.

Ginda